Thursday, March 3, 2011

Snowstorm

Well, walking the roads in the middle of snowstorm requires concentration.  The sidewalks weren't plowed and the roads, barely.  The wind was howling and blowing snow, making listening for traffic coming up behind me almost impossible.  Finally decided to do what I was taught when a child, walk on the left-hand side, facing traffic.  At least then I have a chance of jumping out of the way as most of the way I had to walk on the road.  The drifts were up to my knees on the walkways, and in some areas of the road almost as much.  I thought the snow would cover the ice well and so cleats wouldn't be necessary, not so.  The snow was dry and so getting down to ice was easy.  I stopped at the store on the way in and put the cleats on.  Surprisingly, the wind, snow and cold temperatures were very tolerable, but make no mistake, the gale force "breeze" on the bridge was something to contend with.  I actually hung onto the rail some of the way to keep in place.  It would definitely be interesting to find out what speed the wind travels at coming through the bridge!

If someone thought that walking is simple, try it in the cold, in a semi-blizzard, little plowing done and wind to carry you away.  You have to keep your wits about you.

I got to work fine, though and felt quite refreshed.

2 comments:

Charlene said...

Glad to hear you made it safe. I finally finished my cleaning so I look forward to having a life again and seeing you! Berna and I are going out for lunch tomorrow. I am so excited! It has been a long while.
Anyway, on my way walking from work today I was thinking as I was walking on the right hand side of the road, "I should probablly switch sides so I can actually see the car that hits me." All the while remembering you teaching us that when we were littl'uns. Love you mom!

Shirley said...

Hi Lovie: I'm so happy for you to be completed, and I know the Lord will bless you for your faithfulness. Glad too, that you had a great lunch. Those can be great times of refreshing.
Once I was on the left-hand side of the road - all anxiety was gone - just makes sense! Love to you and the family. xoxoxoxoxo