Sunday, June 29, 2008

Aunt Marjorie

Though uncertain as to whether I would or not, I did go with my Dad to the memorial event for my Aunt Marjorie (Degrasse). It was a wonderful evening. I was amazed at the prolific artist she was. To see a piece of her work, go to this site http://www.bcnorth.ca/ranger/images/DeGrasseLg.jpg

I also learned a lot about her life as a child, young woman, her family life and then the few years preceeding her passing. She was well respected, and people enjoyed her bright and intelligent personality, and her responsible character. One friend stated, "She was a forward-thinker", and this challenged people.

I found the comments encouraging. Perhaps the best understanding I gained of her was that throughout her life she lived honestly - being who she was: doing what she knew needed to be done and also the things she loved.

Shortly before passing away, she came to know Jesus as her Saviour. Her family acknowledged this at the gathering, and it was emphasized in a song my cousin, Ronnie sang. How great is our God!

Dad and I left soon after everything was done. I was glad we went, to have this memory of the celebration of her life.

No comments: