Grandma and Grandpa were pioneers, settling just this side of Moricetown where there is an autobody/wrecker shop now. The original house has been added onto and the barn my Dad helped to build (see picture) is still standing and usable. Grandpa originally owned about a hundred acres or more there.
Some years ago, my Uncle Hugh (the oldest sibling) , with the permission of the BC Government, built a memorial to them on the side of the road where the farm is.
Later in life, my grandparents moved to Terrace and lived on Queesway where Bold Salvage and Allen's Salvage company's are. Grandpa had fruit trees and I remember the beautiful old furniture he had in the house.
My Grandmother left my Grandfather before we children were old enough to know about it. We children loved to go and visit Grandpa - everything was so interesting to us and I have very vivid memories of that place; (I was 4 or 5 at the time).Grandpa sold the property eventually, to a lumber company for a reload and then had my Dad build another place for him on River Drive. One of the memories I have of the place on River Drive is of Grandpa's water tub and ladle. He didn't have running water (in any place he lived), so he kept a large container on the counter with a ladle in it for getting water out of it. He would usually give us a peppermint when we would go and visit. Once in awhile I would ride my bicycle down to his place from our home and visit him. He was also an excellent rose gardener - I loved his roses and was amazed at their beauty. It was all a novelty for us. Grandpa also owned little toy terrier dogs that he bred and sold - people always wanted them. He passed away when I was about 13 or 14 years old. Grandma passed away in Ashcroft much later.
"This is to be a lasting ordinance for you and the generations to come. When you go into battle in your own land against an enemy who is oppressing you, sound a blast on the trumpets. Then you will be remembered by the LORD your God and rescued from your enemies. Also at your times of rejoicing - your appointed feasts and new Moon festivals - you are to sound the trumpets over your burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, and they will be a memorial for you before your God. I am the LORD your God." Ex. 10:8a - 10
No comments:
Post a Comment