Sunday, July 29, 2007

Huckleberries




Nope, they aren't holly berries, they're huckleberries - yumm-m-m-m-!

Yes sir-ee, it's huckleberry season! I went out tonight and picked some, and I will be going out again tomorrow, and maybe for a few evenings. I'd like to get about 6 cups full. I have a great recipe from an old Nabob cookbook that incorporates huckleberries into it (although any berry will do). I would like to have enough for our home group dessert, and a little extra for the freezer.

That evening quail came and covered the camp, and in the morning there was a layer of dew around the camp. When the dew was gone, thin flakes like frost on the ground appeared on the desert floor. When the Israelites saw it, they said to each other. "What is it?" for they did not know what it was.
Moses said to them, "It is the bread the LORD has given you to eat. This is what the LORD has commanded: 'Each one is to gather as much as he needs. Take an omer for each person you have in your tent.'" The Israelites did as they were told; some gathered much, some little...Each morning everyone gathered as much as he needed, and when the sun grew hot, it melted away. On the sixth day, they gathered twice as much - two omers for each person - ... Ex. 15:13-22a NIV

Wasn't the message today at church interesting? Aquarium keepers, or fishers of men.

As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him. When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him. Mark 1:16-20 NIV

No comments: