Blizzard conditions remind me of when I was a girl and we actually had blizzards. I had to walk home from school in the driving wind and snow. It took about 15 minutes, which wasn't very long, but by the time I got home, my face would be beet red. Mom and Dad had one car that was shared, so getting a ride home was uncommon. We didn't think anything about it - it was normal life. Dressing for warmth and protecting our skin was a top priority. The street we lived on and the highway behind our house would be a frenzy of wind and snow. I remember there was a family not far from us that wasn't well off. The boys would walk home with little for winter clothing, so I don't know how they managed. When I think of them, I remember them as blond haired children with colds and running noses. Once in a while I wonder what happened to them.
Today is a day like those back then, with the wind blowing and snow pelting. Even though weather like this is not well liked by most, I enjoy the contrast to milder days. There is a wild, yet dangerous beauty in blizzard conditions, that I think stirs people.
No comments:
Post a Comment