Thursday, July 21, 2011

Life From the Other Side

Encountered a problem today - one of the businesses in town won't permit backpacks in the store anymore.  Too much shoplifting.  I can understand.

However, I use a backpack, all the time - to carry a change of clothes for work, lunch, wallet, camera, notebook, pens and a few other small miscellaneous articles.  I don't want to leave the bag outside, and there is no allowance for storage of it in the store. 

I talked to one of the employees and she said she would discuss it with the other members of the team.  Perhaps they could come up with a solution.

Odd that there is no consideration for people who do have backpacks, and a lot do.  I also pack groceries in it, mail and other necessities.

As a society, I think we don't understand how other people move through life.

How does a person with no vehicle get around, to the bank or grocery store, to the doctor's office or to a friend's home?  Mix that with very little money.  Taxi cabs are not an option, bus tickets are a possibility.  Add one or two children, at least of toddler age.

Everyone has to eat and pick up what they need.  How does everything get brought home, enough for everyone in the family?

Challenge:  try to operate without a vehicle for one month.

No comments: